Endorsement of the application
JOO applications of students of Aalto University are processed continuously. The endorsement process depends, for example, on the work situation and presence of the personnel in Student Services and departments. The application must be submitted to the home university well before the application deadline at the host university, preferably no later than 4 weeks before the application deadline. The endorsement process usually takes 2–3 weeks, but can sometimes take longer. Therefore, reserve enough time for the endorsement process at Aalto University before the host university's application deadline!
The application is filled in the electronic application system Joopas, if the host university uses the system.
Approval criteria of Aalto University and preparing the study plan
An application can be endorsed if the following requirements are met:
- The student has enrolled as an attending student.
- The studies are included in the student’s bachelor's or master's degree, and they are a part of the students approved personal study plan (PSP, HOPS).
- The student has demonstrated that his/her studies have progressed normally. A bachelor's student may not receive endorsement for studies that are planned for the first year of study.
- Similar or corresponding courses are not offered by Aalto University. JOO studies are not intended to substitute for the teaching offered in the student's own school, and students cannot take courses at another university if they are available at the home school.
- The studies are suited for the student's degree. They support the bachelor's or master's degree, and are part of the student's degree, for example minor studies or part of elective studies.
- The studies are not Open University studies.
- Applications by exchange students cannot be approved.
The studies cannot be endorsed without an approved personal study plan. The approved personal study plan and a transcript of records must be enclosed with the application. Information about the approval of the study plan is available on your school’s Into pages. For instructions and information about your study plan, please contact your degree programme. Please reserve enough time for the process of having the studies approved in your study plan, before the application period begins.
Requirements for minor studies for students of the School of Business
The studies the student applies for must form an entity at the host university. The extent of the minor the student applies for must correspond to the extent agreed upon in the student's personal study plan. If the minor at the receiving school is e.g. 25 ECTS, but the student needs 30 ECTS, he/she can choose an extra course that suits the minor. If the extent is e.g. 32 ECTS, the 32 ECTS can be endorsed. However, if the studies exceed the extent by too much, they cannot be endorsed.
Requirements for minor studies for students in the field of technology
The studies the student applies for must form an entity at the host university. In the student's degree in Aalto University, JOO studies form a minor or (part of) elective studies. Consequently, the extent of JOO studies depends on the minor or elective studies as defined in the student's degree programme or major.
Requirements for minor studies for students of the School of Art, Design and Architecture
The minor studies must be suited for the student's degree, e.g. as a minor or part of the elective studies. It should form an entity at the receiving school.
- An officially approved study plan.
Submitting the application
The application is filled in the electronic application system Joopas, if the host university uses the system. This is the case with most universities. After being submitted, an electronic JOO application is automatically forwarded to the Student Services for endorsement.
The list of universities which do not use Joopas are listed on the front page of the Joopas site. They use a paper JOO application form. The paper applications are also processed by Student Services (see addresses below). Please mark the envelope with 'JOO application'.
- Aalto University School of Business, Student Services, PL 21210, 00076 Aalto
- Aalto University School of Chemical Technology, Student Services, PL 16100, 00076 Aalto
- Aalto University School of Science, Student Services, PL 15400, 00076 Aalto
- Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering, Student Services, PL 13000, 00076 Aalto
- Aalto University School of Engineering, Student Services, PL 14100, 00076 Aalto
- Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Student Services, PL 31000, 00076 Aalto
Forwarding of the application to the target university
An electronic JOO application is automatically transferred to the host university if the application has been endorsed by Aalto University in whole or in part. If Aalto University has not endorsed the application, the reasons for the decision are given in the application. The student receives an automatic email when the decision has been made. The status and the processing history of the electronic application can be seen in the Joopas system throughout the process. After sending the application, you can no longer modify it. If changes are needed, please contact the contact person of your school mentioned below.
An endorsed paper JOO application form is sent directly to the host university by the Student Services. If the application is not endorsed, it is archived by the Student Services. The student will be informed of the decision, whether the application is approved or rejected.
Duration of the flexible study right
The endorsement for JOO studies is always granted for a fixed period. The duration of the study right can be a maximum of two years. The duration of the endorsement depends e.g. on the amount of credits the student plans on completing. Please note that the actual time the host university grants for your studies may be shorter than the time Aalto University has originally endorsed!
Transferring JOO studies to Aalto University’s student register follows the normal credit transfer process. For the credit transfer, provide an official transcript of records from the host university. If the studies form a study module (e.g. a minor), the transcript or a certificate needs to show this.
School of Arts, Design and Architecture
- Planerare Niina Tikkanen
- telefon: 050 513 8480
School of Business
- Planning Officer Aino Salminen
- tel. 050 413 6414
School of Chemical Technology
- N. N.
School of Electrical Engineering
- Planning Officer Eeva Halonen
- tel. 050 327 9199
School of Engineering
- Coordinator Virpi Riissanen
- tel. 050 564 5495
School of Science
- Study coordinator Sari Salmisuo
- tel. 050 408 4540